Local News

Hockey – Scotland v Canada, World League Semi-finals

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 14:50
Scotland miss out on Quarters after draw with Canada Image – Kenny Bain in action against Wales in an earlier World League Round –  John Preece Scotland’s World Cup dream ended in London today when, in searing heat, they drew 1-1 with Canada in their final group stage match. Coach Derek Forsyth’s team were 1-0 […]
Categories: Local News

'Bigot' jailed for fire attack on Edinburgh mosque

BBC News - Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 13:51
He earlier pleaded guilty to a string of crimes including wilful fire-raising aggravated by religious prejudice.
Categories: Local News

70-year-old woman paid bogus workmen £70,000 for gardening work

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 12:54
Three men have been arrested and charged for bogus workmen offences after an elderly woman was targeted in the Buckstone area. Between 10th April and 19th June this year, the 70-year-old victim was visited at her home in Buckstone Gate on nine occasions and agreed to pay large sums of money for gardening work on […]
Categories: Local News

Get ready for the 2017 Royal Highland Show – begins tomorrow

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 12:35
This year the Clydesdale horse is the hero image for the 2017 Royal Highland Show, and her name is Jennifer. Bred by Ronnie Black a Clydesdale breeder from Newton of Collessie Farm, Fife Jennifer is the fourth generation of Best of Breed at the show. 17.2 hands tall (that is really big to those of […]
Categories: Local News

Pensioner shelled out £70,000 to 'bogus workmen' 

STV News - Edinburgh & East Scotland - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 12:35

A 70-year-old woman paid out more than £70,000 in cash to alleged bogus workmen, police have revealed.

The pensioner was visited at her home in Buckstone Gate, Edinburgh, nine times between April and June this year.

She agreed to pay large sums for gardening work and shelled out £70,000 before the police were called in.

On Wednesday, Police Scotland said three men - aged 19, 24 and 52 - had been arrested and charged by the force's Operation Aristotle team.

The trio made a first appearance at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Tuesday.

Detective inspector Paul Grainger from Corstorphine CID said: "Operation Aristotle is an ongoing initiative within Edinburgh to help prevent vulnerable members of our communities being targeted by bogus workmen and to bring perpetrators of such offences to justice.

"These arrests demonstrate our commitment to tackling doorstep crime in all its forms and the public have a vital role to play in helping us achieve this goal.

"If you observe any suspicious activity around the home of a family member, friend or neighbour, of if you have concerns that a vulnerable person is being exploited, then please contact us immediately."

Categories: Local News

Nazi tattoo racist jailed for petrol bombing mosque

STV News - Edinburgh & East Scotland - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 12:32

A racist with a history of bigoted attacks has been jailed for throwing a petrol bomb at a city mosque.

Thomas Conington targeted Edinburgh Central Mosque just after 2am on September 18, 2016.

The 29-year-old, who has a Nazi swastika tattoo on his chest, lit a clear glass bottle filled with petrol then launched it over the fence into the grounds of the Potterrow mosque.

The Molotov cocktail burst into flames on the steps of the entrance, setting fire to the door.

Conington was jailed at the High Court in Glasgow on Wednesday after admitting the attack. He was given a lifelong restriction order and must serve at least three years and nine months in jail.

The court heard that a month earlier, Conington had approached the same mosque while drunk and was arrested for being aggressive and racially abusive after being refused entry.

He was also convicted of making racially offensive and sectarian remarks to a supermarket security guard.

The self-confessed bigot hurled racist and bigoted abuse at the guard at a Tesco store in Duke Street, Edinburgh, on March 3.

Prosecutor Andrew Richardson, speaking after Wednesday's sentencing, said: "Everyone has the right to live free from violence, threats, intimidation or the fear of harassment or abuse stemming from the prejudice of another person.

"To be targeted because of race, colour or faith is totally unacceptable.

"Hopefully, the conviction and sentencing of Thomas Conington will send a strong message to those who engage in this abhorrent behaviour that they will face the full force of the law.

"We are determined to work alongside colleagues in the criminal justice system to do all in our power to prevent these crimes and to bring those who commit them to justice."

Categories: Local News

Teacher who smelled of alcohol in class struck off

STV News - Edinburgh & East Scotland - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 11:49

A teacher who turned up to work drunk and smelled of alcohol while in class has been struck off.

According to a senior janitor at Castlebrae High School in Edinburgh, history teacher Neil McLean had a stash of alcohol hidden in an old school building.

McLean would make excuses to visit the building and would return smelling of drink, a General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTCS) disciplinary panel heard.

The panel upheld a charge that he had smelled of alcohol while in control of pupils between August and October 2014 after both staff and pupils reported him.

A further charge that he was drunk at the Royal High School in Edinburgh on September 30 was also found proved.

The GTCS panel was shown a report Edinburgh Council had compiled into allegations about his teaching at Castlebrae.

The head teacher said "(Mr McLean) looked, at times, as if he was under the influence of alcohol due to his appearance and being shaky on his feet."

The report also listed the janitor's concerns. He suspected McLean had drink hidden in the old school building and in his car.

However, he also said McLean "had been a fantastic teacher when he started at the school but he then started drinking a lot and went downhill".

Some other colleagues told the council investigation they did not have any concerns about McLean.

Pupils reported smelling alcohol from him, with one claiming to have seen a bottle in his jacket pocket and two claiming to have seen him filling a silver flask with vodka in class.

Royal High head teacher Pauline Walker said McLean had returned to the school after leaving unexpectedly on September 30, looking "dishevelled" and smelling strongly of alcohol.

McLean denied all the charges but did not attend the GTCS hearing.

A further charge that he hit an S1 pupil on the hand with a jotter was found not proved.

Announcing its decision to strike him off, the GTCS panel said: "By acting the way he had, the respondent had failed to be a positive role model to pupils.

"This was particularly so given that pupils had observed his conduct."

Categories: Local News

Junior NBA league heads for Scotland

BBC News - Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 11:27
The National Basketball Association youth programme teams up with Basketball Scotland in Edinburgh.
Categories: Local News

Hibs’ supporter directors update fans about ongoing issues

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 10:26
Hibs Supporter Directors Frank Dougan and Tracey Smith have issued the first in a series of regular updates to inform fans of what has been happening behind the scenes at Easter Road. Details were published on the club website and cover issues such as the ‘Behind the Goals’ bar, relocating from the Famous Five Stand, […]
Categories: Local News

Police warn public not to approach missing absconder

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 10:14
Police Scotland is warning the public not to approach a missing man who absconded from Midpark in Dumfries yesterday due to uncertainty over his reaction. The has been named as 30 year old Abdul Nabi who was a patient in the hospital. Mr Nabi is described as being black, of Asian appearance, with short dark curly hair, about […]
Categories: Local News

More than 115,000 apply to walk Queensferry Crossing

STV News - Edinburgh & East Scotland - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 09:57

More than 115,000 people have applied for a chance to walk across the new Queensferry Crossing, just a day after the "once in a lifetime" opportunity was announced.

Entries to the ballot for the Queensferry Crossing Experience have already overtaken the 50,000 places allocated.

On Tuesday, economy secretary Keith Brown revealed the £1.35 billion bridge would open to traffic on August 30.

However, it will close to traffic the following weekend to allow 50,000 people to walk its 1.7 mile span.

The online ballot runs until July 5.

There is no pedestrian walkway on the new bridge, which will connect the M90 between Fife and the Lothians, meaning this is the only scheduled opportunity to cross it on foot.

Brown said: "There has been a fantastic response so far from the public to take part in the Queensferry Crossing Experience.

"Since going live there have already been over 50,000 entries.

"This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to walk the bridge so I would encourage people to continue to enter the ballot to have a chance to be one of the final 50,000 people to do it."

https://stv.tv/news/east-central/1391635-queensferry-crossing-will-be-open-to-traffic-in-august/ | default

Construction of the bridge has taken almost six years. The structure, intended to replace the Forth Road Bridge, is said to be the longest three-tower, cable-stayed bridge in the world and the tallest in Britain.

It was originally due to open in December 2016, but construction was hit by delays blamed on poor weather.

Categories: Local News

Kevin Bacon due at Edinburgh International Film Festival gala

BBC News - Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 09:33
Actors Stanley Tucci, Richard E Grant, Ewen Bremner, Toby Jones and Sheila Hancock may also make an appearance.
Categories: Local News

Basketball – NBA link to create school leagues

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 09:02
The National Basketball Association (NBA) and basketballscotland have confirmed a new partnership to create a school-based Junior NBA basketball league in Edinburgh for boys and girls ages 11-12. The league will be held in local primary schools, where each co-ed team will represent one of the 30 NBA teams and will receive corresponding NBA team-branded […]
Categories: Local News

Film festival celebrates 70th anniversary in Edinburgh

STV News - Edinburgh & East Scotland - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 07:24

The Edinburgh International Film Festival (EIFF) gets under way on Wednesday as it celebrates its 70th anniversary year.

Holywood stars Kevin Bacon and Stanley Tucci are among the big names expected to appear on the red carpet during the festival.

Actors Richard E Grant, Ewen Bremner, Toby Jones and Sheila Hancock could also be helping the EIFF mark its milestone by appearing in the city.

Edinburgh's International Festival and the Fringe are also due to celebrate their 70th anniversaries later in the year.

The EIFF begins on Wednesday evening with the UK premiere of God's Own Country at the opening night gala.

The debut feature from writer and director Francis Lee is an unsentimental romantic story set in the heart of rural Yorkshire.

Stars Josh O'Connor, Alec Secareanu, Ian Hart and Gemma Jones are expected to join the director at the launch event.

Highlights later on in the festival include the UK premiere of Disney-Pixar's animation Cars 3, while Tucci will bring Final Portrait, his latest film as director.

Kyra Sedgwick will attend the festival for her directorial debut, Story Of A Girl, along with the film's star, her husband Kevin Bacon.

Grant will return to Edinburgh for a 30th anniversary screening of Withnail and I and a special event in which he will discuss his career.

Audiences can also look forward to a Q&A screening with Academy Award-winning screenwriter Oliver Stone, who will present a special 30th anniversary screening of Wall Street.

EIFF artistic director Mark Adams said: "In the Festival's 70th Anniversary Year, we're proud to be showcasing some of the most exciting, accomplished material from around the world and are looking forward to hosting these talented filmmakers and artists."

Natalie Usher, director of screen at Creative Scotland, said: "The year's landmark 70th anniversary edition is packed with an impressive array of the very best films from around the world, certain to appeal to local and international audiences."

Categories: Local News

Film Fest in the City 2017 was a shining success

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 07:01
The organisers of Film Fest in the City, Essential Edinburgh along with the Edinburgh International Film Festival have claimed that the 2017 outdoor film fest was an outstanding success. The weather was outstanding and this, along with the many films on offer attracted over 20,000 people to St Andrew Square Garden to watch blockbusters on […]
Categories: Local News

East Lothian food producers working together in world first

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 06:43
The world’s first ever food and drink Business Improvement Development (BID) group has been created in East Lothian. Scotland’s Food & Drink County will be launched at the Royal Highland Show, Edinburgh. The move allows buyers the chance to buy collaboratively from East Lothian’s suppliers for the first time. East Lothian has a thriving food […]
Categories: Local News

Queensferry Crossing to open at the end of the summer

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 06:43
The Queensferry Crossing, the new bridge over the River Forth, will be opened to the public on 30 August 2017. Then it will close again. This will allow 50,000 members of the public to take part in a once in a lifetime walk across the bridge on 2 and 3 September following a ballot to […]
Categories: Local News

Tour of Britain Grand Depart

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 06:35
Cyclist George Atkins and Tour of Britain mascot TOBi joined Lord Provost Frank Ross at the Mercat Cross above the crossing line for the Tour of Britain Grand Depart. It is now just under 75-days until the start of Britain’s biggest professional cycle race and details have been revealed of the  locations of the three […]
Categories: Local News

Freedom of Information to become more transparent

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 06:13
The Scottish Government has announced that all information released  in response to Freedom of Information (FOI) requests will be published online from 3 July 2017, in line with a commitment to open and transparent government. Information released in response to FOI requests will be made available on https://beta.gov.scot as requests are answered, allowing anyone to search […]
Categories: Local News

MND scholarship in memory of Gordon Aikman

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 06/21/2017 - 00:02
Applications are now being taken for a scholarship fund set up in memory of motor neurone disease (MND) campaigner, Gordon Aikman. The Gordon Aikman Scholarship is worth £50,000; with Scottish Government funding of £25,000 and MND Scotland announcing today that it will match this funding. It will support individuals affected by MND or their carers […]
Categories: Local News

Pages