Local News

Boy hit by police van during Edinburgh brawl appears in court

BBC News - Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 16:25
The 16-year-old was charged with breach of the peace after the large-scale disturbance in Edinburgh.
Categories: Local News

Student acquitted of false rape claim against two teens

STV News - Edinburgh & East Scotland - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 16:20

A university student has been acquitted of making a false rape claim against two teenagers after "three years of hell".

The former private schoolgirl claimed she was attacked by the two boys at an "out of control" house party at her parents' home in 2015 after a video emerged of the trio engaged in sex acts.

The girl, who was 17 at the time of the incident, had planned a small get together with friends but mistakenly made the Facebook event page public and hundreds of teenagers signed up to attend.

The Saturday night party then got out of hand and the house in Fife was trashed with radiators ripped off walls, holes poked in the ceiling with destroyed curtain rails and family property obliterated.

The following Monday the girl told friends she had had "a threesome" with two teenage boys at the party- before later revealing that she hadn't given consent.

A video of the incident was then spread among secondary school pupils leading to the girl contacting police and telling them she had been sexually assaulted.

Two 16-year-olds were then arrested and charged with rape, however following an investigation the charges against the boys were dropped and the complainer was charged with wasting police time.

During a ten-day trial the now 20-year-old maintained that she had been attacked.

At Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court her defence counsel described one of the boys as a "sexual predator" and stating he was "going round the party like a dog in heat".

They argued the woman's drink may have been spiked, which they say would account for her demeanour changing from being concerned about the destruction of her family home to "being out of it" and trying to go to bed during the party.

Former school friends of the girl appeared as witnesses during the trial and told the court that she "seemed quite impressed" and "made jokes" about having sex with the boys.

One said "it didn't seem like anything bad had happened."

On Wednesday it took a jury of ten men and five women around an hour to find her not guilty of all charges.

As she walked free from court the sheriff told her: "I hope in all the circumstances you have found perhaps there is some merit in our criminal justice system after all."

Her solicitor, Aamer Anwar, said she had been through "over three years of hell".

He added: "She is relieved at the today's verdict delivered by the jury. She is deeply grateful to her legal team and advocate Sarah Livingston for their representation

"After over three years of hell, she can finally start to rebuild her life and I ask that her privacy is respected and there will be no further comment."

Categories: Local News

Scottish Chamber Orchestra wants to hear from young people

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 16:16
The Scottish Chamber Orchestra is one of Scotland’s five national performing companies. It is made up of 37 talented musicians and has recently appointed a new principal conductor. The Scottish Chamber Orchestra puts on regular concerts based on a range of classical music repertoire. Their aim is to provide opportunities for as many people as […]
Categories: Local News

Carer rapped for dragging 13-year-old girl along floor

STV News - Edinburgh & East Scotland - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 15:44

A childcare practitioner has been reprimanded for dragging a girl with additional support needs across a floor leaving her with a carpet burn.

The injury was reported after the 13-year-old's dad spotted the mark on her back when he was bathing her that night.

Jade Gibson denied the misconduct and claimed the friction burn may have been caused by the youngster "rough-housing" with a boy at an after-school club in Fife.

However, a Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) panel found the allegations proven and her fitness to practise impaired after a witness testified that they'd seen Gibson within a classroom dragging "something" and then using sign language for "stand up".

The panel claimed the behaviour "amounted to an abuse of power and trust in relation to a vulnerable child who could not speak up for herself". It also caused the teen to suffer "actual physical harm".

The SSSC have now placed a warning on Gibson's registration for a year and ordered her to write a reflective account on what lessons she has learned and what impact her actions would have had upon the teen and her family.

Gibson has until April 21 to appeal the decision.

The incident happened during an out-of-hours club in Fife on November 29, 2016.

At a SSSC hearing last month, the panel heard the teenager would often move herself across the floor by "bum-shuffling".

Witnesses agreed it was not unusual for the girl to stubbornly refuse to move and would sometimes lie on her back and kick out at people.

On the day in question, a woman leaving the school spotted a laboured-looking Gibson walking backwards within a lit-up classroom "dragging something". The witness couldn't see what, but believed it to be a child after Gibson signed "stand up".

Panicked, the woman rushed back into the school to report what she'd seen.

The woman and another witness then went into the classroom and found the teenager sitting upright on the carpeted floor. As the schoolgirl did not appear to be upset, there didn't seem to be any cause for concern.

However, later on a care worker reported seeing a "red rash" on the girl's back when taking her to the toilet.

The following day, the girl's mother also reported the mark - which was before she knew of the alleged incident. She told the panel it took two weeks to heal.

Following an investigation, it was accepted the injury occurred after school.

'It does not consider that you intended to harm [the girl] in any way, but it is satisfied that the evidence shows that you, at some point, dragged her in an inappropriate manner, and that that dragging caused the injury complained of' Scottish Social Services Council panel

In defence, Gibson denied dragging the teenager across the floor. Instead, she claimed that she held onto the youth's hands as the teen dug her heels into the floor and propelled herself along.

Gibson argued she would not have been able to move someone of the teen's size and weight.

She also claimed the girl had been "rough-housing" with a boy that day and at one point threw herself onto her back.

However, the allegations were "proved on balance of probability".

The panel said: "It does not consider that you intended to harm [the girl] in any way, but it is satisfied that the evidence shows that you, at some point, dragged her in an inappropriate manner, and that that dragging caused the injury complained of.

"Service users had a right to expect to be treated with dignity and respect.

"Regardless of intention, your actions had amounted to abusive behaviour."

Gibson, who currently works in a mainstream school, was said to have displayed some insight, regret and apology within a personal statement.

In response to questions from the panel, she said that if she had caused the girl harm she would be "completely horrified".

The panel accepted it was an isolated incident and noted Gibson's good relationship with the youngster.

The panel also highlighted that at the time of the incident, Gibson was not particularly experienced at working with children with additional support needs.

Following the SSSC's decision, Phil Black, head of education and children's services at Fife Council, told STV News: "As a responsible employer, we don't discuss the individual circumstances of any current or former employees."

Categories: Local News

Long-awaited signage welcomes you to Balerno

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 14:11
TWO housebuilding companies currently building developments in Balerno have come together to provide the village with bespoke new gateway signage announcing it as the “Gateway to the Pentlands”. For more than three years, the desire for new signs has represented a key element of thinking behind the community council’s draft community plan to increase pride […]
Categories: Local News

Say ‘I do’ in style: Kimpton Charlotte Square Hotel offer a luxury wedding – for free

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 14:01
Kimpton Charlotte Square Hotel in Edinburgh launch competition to win a magical wedding worth £20,000 for free To continue celebrations around the launch of the first Kimpton® Hotels & Restaurants in Scotland, the luxury boutique hotel brand is giving one lucky couple the chance to win a wedding or civil ceremony at the hotel for […]
Categories: Local News

New restaurant opening at Grazing with Mark Greenaway

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 13:34
The five-star Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh – The Caledonian and celebrated Edinburgh chef, Mark Greenaway, welcomed industry, media, friends and family along to the launch of the brand-new restaurant, ‘Grazing by Mark Greenaway’ last night. Guests mingled with the chef and discovered the laidback, ‘grazing’ concept, which showcases a mix of traditional, modern and sharing plates, […]
Categories: Local News

New Edinburgh concert hall backed by planners

BBC News - Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 12:56
The proposals to build the first new concert hall in Edinburgh for more than 100 years will be considered by councillors.
Categories: Local News

Overnight closures for GP service at St John's Hospital in Livingston

BBC News - Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 12:25
The out-of-hours service at St John's Hospital in Livingston will be suspended for nine nights in May.
Categories: Local News

First Edinburgh concert hall in century backed by planners

STV News - Edinburgh & East Scotland - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 11:07

Proposals for the first concert hall in Edinburgh to be built for more than 100 years have been backed by planners ahead of a crunch hearing.

Planning officers from the city council have recommended the Impact Centre be given the green light by the development management sub-committee next week.

If approved, the 1000-seat auditorium will also include a 200-seat studio for performances, rehearsals and recordings as well as rooms for education and conferences.

An open foyer will host music performances and a cafe bar.

Officers said that the Impact Centre "would make a valuable contribution to the city's cultural infrastructure and provide opportunities for its use by the wider community".

The Impact Centre, located behind Dundas House at St Andrew Square, will also become home to the Scottish Chamber Orchestra and will be used as a venue for the Edinburgh International Festival.

Sir Ewan Brown, chairman of IMPACT Scotland, said: "We look forward to presenting the case for Edinburgh's first purpose-built music venue in over 100 years to the committee.

"This is an opportunity for the city to raise its game in terms of cultural infrastructure and provide a world-class venue for the people of Edinburgh and its many visitors."

On April 24, councillors will listen to presentations from Richard Price from New Town and Broughton Community Council, Adam Wilkinson from Edinburgh World Heritage Trust and Terry Levinthal from heritage watchdog, the Cockburn Association.

City centre councillors and other interested parties, including Impact Scotland, will also be given the chance to have their say on the plans.

The proposed development has gained the backing of the Cockburn Association, Essential Edinburgh, Historic Environment Scotland, Edinburgh World Heritage Trust and the community council.

However bosses at the new St James Centre, which is currently under construction, have raised fears over traffic and deliveries.

The Gleneagles Hotel, under construction at St Andrew Square has also highlighted noise concerns after not being consulted, however noise impact assessments are only required for residential properties.

The St James Centre has also raised concerns about the use of concrete for the new concert hall, labelling the material "completely inappropriate".

In a report to councillors, planning officers have highlighted that although the proposals do not "impact adversely and significantly on city-wide views", it will "affect the spatial characteristics of the planned First New Town".

But officers have praised the "simplicity of the architectural form and materials", believing it would provide a "more cohesive backdrop to Dundas House".

The report adds: "Therefore, on balance, and taking its proposed use into consideration, it is considered that the proposed development does not remove or detract from key characteristic components of the conservation area that gives the area its special interest.

"It will contribute to the architectural quality of the area with a contemporary high quality building designed to respond to its historic and modern urban environment.

"The proposal's gentle domed roof, symmetry to the axis of George Street, glazed colonnade and elliptical form of the hall assist in mediating between the scale of the neoclassical Dundas House and the contemporary Edinburgh St James development.

"In this regard, the special character and appearance of the New Town Conservation Area will be preserved and enhanced."

Categories: Local News

West Lothian veteran with sight loss builds Titanic model for world tour

Edinburgh Evening News - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 11:06
A Wilkieston veteran with sight loss has created a scratch model of the Titanic that will now journey the world as part of an international touring exhibition.
Categories: Local News

29 arrests during climate change protest

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 09:34
Police arrested 29 people after a climate change protest in Edinburgh city centre yesterday. Around 150 Supporters of Extinction Rebellion Scotland blocked the North Bridge as part of a week of action planned around the world to raise awareness of climate change. A Police Scotland spokesman said: “The protest by the Extinction Rebellion Group at […]
Categories: Local News

Armed police swoop on teenagers playing with toy crossbow

STV News - Edinburgh & East Scotland - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 09:10

Armed police swooped in on a group of youths wielding a "crossbow" - only to discover it was a toy.

The teenagers were spotted with the "weapon" in Dalkeith, Midlothian, on Monday afternoon.

Officers eventually tracked the group down in Bonnyrigg and concluded it was a false alarm.

Inspector Helen Miller said: "Officers were called around 3.35pm on Monday, April 15, to reports of a group of teenagers with a crossbow in the Dalkeith area.

'The call received from the member of the public was of genuine concern and as such, we have to provide a robust response to ensure the safety of the public is never compromised' Inspector Helen Miller

"Given the nature of the weapon described, armed officers attended the call and managed to locate the group in the Bonnyrigg area.

"Thankfully the weapon was a toy, and no further action was required.

"The call received from the member of the public was of genuine concern and as such, we have to provide a robust response to ensure the safety of the public is never compromised."

Categories: Local News

Killjoy cabbies complain to Edinburgh Council over private hire boss’s £92k number plate

Edinburgh Evening News - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 08:15
KILLJOY cabbies have complained to the council after a cheeky private hire boss bought the number plate TAX1.
Categories: Local News

Jardine welcomes Diageo jobs in Edinburgh

The Edinburgh Reporter - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 08:01
Edinburgh West MP, Christine Jardine has welcomed £150m of investment by drinks giant Diageo in its visitor experiences across Scotland. The centre piece will be a state of the art Johnnie Walker experience, which the Edinburgh West based company says will bring jobs and create a world class tourist destination. Ms Jardine said: “I am […]
Categories: Local News

Edinburgh police say 29 people arrested during Extinction Rebellion protest

Edinburgh Evening News - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 07:49
Edinburgh city centre was brought to a standstill after hundreds of environmental protesters occupied North Bridge as part of nationwide demonstrations demanding action to tackle climate change.
Categories: Local News

SERFYA round-up: Lothian Colts 13s in final after thriller | wins for Leith and Bonnyrigg

Edinburgh Evening News - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 06:30
Lothian Colts Under-13s booked their place in the Colin Campbell Sports Cup final after defeating Tynecastle whites 5-4 at Saughton Park.
Categories: Local News

Barry Bryson of Cater Edinburgh has right ingredients for embassy showcase

Edinburgh Evening News - Wed, 04/17/2019 - 05:36
An Edinburgh chef is representing Scotland in a series of mouth-watering events hosted by a British embassy in South America.
Categories: Local News

Almost 30 people arrested after climate change protest

STV News - Edinburgh & East Scotland - Tue, 04/16/2019 - 22:13

Almost 30 people have been arrested after a climate change protest in Edinburgh.

Supporters of Extinction Rebellion Scotland blocked the city's North Bridge, bringing areas to a standstill during the campaign to raise awareness about climate change.

Around 150 protesters turned out to the demonstration on Tuesday, resulting in 29 of them being arrested in connection with a breach of the peace.

The demonstration was part of a week of action planned around the world to raise awareness of climate change and encourage governments to act now.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: "The protest by the Extinction Rebellion Group at the North Bridge area of Edinburgh came to an end at around 8.30pm this evening.

"29 people were arrested for breach of the peace. 17 of these were men and 12 were women."

Categories: Local News

Extincion Rebellion close North Bridge in Edinburgh with protest

The Edinburgh Reporter - Tue, 04/16/2019 - 18:40
The climate change campaigners Extinction Rebellion protested today at 3.00pm as they had advised they would. Suddenly protesters unfurled a long banner across North Bridge at the junction with the Royal Mile. They then allowed the traffic already on the bridge to pass and then closed off the road at both junctions south and north. […]
Categories: Local News

Pages